March 9, 2018 - 108th Annual Westmoreland County Association of Township Officials Convention
- Approximately 200 locally-elected officials from Westmoreland County’s 22 townships attended the convention. Other county and state elected officials who attended were:
- County Commissioners Gina Cerilli, Ted Kopas and Charles Anderson
- State Representatives Bob Brooks, George Dunbar, Eric Nelson, Justin Walsh and Mike Reese.
- Shirl Barnhardt, Past President of PSATS was also in attendance
- KEF had a 3’x8’ table where we presented numerous state and national oil & gas focused handouts. The particular feature of our literature is Opposition to the proposed bailout of PA’s nuclear plants, pipeline infrastructure, jobs, agricultural impact, HF and the protection of our air & water resources.
- During the presentation by PSATS (PA State Association of Township Supervisors) PSATS Chief Education Officer Scott Coburn, there was some discussion of opposition to Gov. Wolf’s proposed severance tax on the oil & gas industry if it jeopardizes the funds coming into local governments from Act 13. PSATS official stance is that the local governments are entitled to a minimum of $200 million per year to deal with local impact issues. Although the state’s revenues are up this fiscal year, the Governor is still seeking his additional tax on the industry. During the Q&A with the elected officials’ panel, this group of legislators did not express any support for the Governor’s severance tax proposal.